CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Thursday, November 09, 2006

Thursday

Tonight was wonderful.

Initially when I took this job I made myself four promises.
Promise 1: I must take at least one day off a week.
Promise 2: I will be more committed to practicing the spiritual discipline of silence.
Promise 3: I will take every opportunity to live in joy and laughter.
Promise 4: I will continually look for new expereinces.

Well, Promises 1 & 2 have been difficult to maintain. (Ok so I haven't practiced silence at all this fall....but I will). But Promises 3 & 4 have been really good for my heart.

For instance this Tuesday I learned how to shoot a 22. Now, I am not sure exactly what I will do with this new found knowledge, as I am too much of a wuss to kill anything. I did however, feel rather tough as I lugged my gun accross the feild to shoot at my wooden target. (...'lugged my gun' - never thought I would use those words in a sentance).

And then to night, this Thursday night found my self in another new and joyful situation. I sat at a table with four men playing poker. Oh, yes - I put my five bucks into the pot and lost every penny. They each had their beers, I had my diet pepsi. They talked about hunting, I talked about Youth Group. Life was good.

And initally so was I, apparently four of a kind and the wide eyes of a girl playing dumb pays pretty well! I really had fun...a new expereince but I think I'll add it to my list of good expereinces.

I suppose the moral for my day is simply - Jesus brings us joy in the weirdest ways. I don't deserve it. I don't know my heart like I should. I don't know Jesus' heart like I should. I am not the person I want to be or should be... But He still chooses to bring me joy.

6 comments:

Dana said...

so... where these young men that you playing poker with?? Perhaps young, hansome men???? Young hansome men that you could marry????.... just a question I had...

Erica R said...

Ummm - I'm gonna go with a no on that one....yeah...

Nathan & Rosanna Toews said...

You are a great encouragement to us! Thanks for sharing.

Karl said...

Don't lie to us Erica. I want names and stats on them. By the way, good to hear your getting into the whole firearms thing. I guess I was wrong about you being TOTALLY high maintenance.... maybe.

betty said...

so dana thought you could marry one of those handsome young poker players...but hey...lets be honest...dana and I need lovely poker players of our own..so that still leaves you with two to choose from so have at er!

Dayna said...

Perhaps not TOTALLY high maintenance, but pretty close :)
But really, I think you're awesome. Joy most certainly comes from the places that we seem to least expect it. Love ya. Are you around during Christmas??? I am...somewhere...