CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Thursday, November 23, 2006

Um...We'll Call This - Sermon Block

Yup. I have Sermon Block. Sermon Block is characterised by me sitting in my little office with the very green, patio carpet. Eating so many smarties that my stomach is aching but I can't stop colour coding and munching...And I turn every thot that comes through my brain into a catchy little diddy...all sung to the tune of 'Spider man, Spiderman, does whatever a spider can.'

Ok, so maybe I should get out more.

This coming Sunday is the 1st Sunday of Advent! (Yes, that deserves an exclamation point). A time to remind ourselves of the deep anticipation each of us has within. I think I am going to talk about the hope of Mary. Mary the Mother of Christ... now, there was a 14 year old girl who had serious faith. I admire that. She knew the trueness of hope...ok maybe my sermon isn't as blocked as my spiderman diddys may lead one to believe.

I just feel...I don't know. Pent up. (This could be the smarties talking).

I have passion.
Deep passion.
I am just wondering what it really looks like.


Therefore, my dear friends, as you have always obeyed - not only in my presence, but now much more in my absence - contiunue to work out your salvation with fear and trembling, for it is God who works in you to will and to act according to his good purpose.

A guy named Paul wrote that to a bunch of people living in a city call Philippi. I like it.

To work out my salvation with fear and trembling. With awe, joy and reverence. With pure wonder.

God, who works in me to will and act according to His good purpose. God who works on my passion and actions. God who will use such a weak person for His glory.

Ok - so in summation...I am trying to say that I might be focusing on things that aren't my passions for the sake of passionate discussion. And ultimately above all I need to be strive towards God with fear and trembling.

So essentially nothing concrete was expressed here - just some non practical jargon. (I am a pastor aren't I....).

In my defence Smarties contain both sugar and gluten. (And why isn't Sugar spelled with an 'h'...SHUGAR...? Just wondering).

I apologise for the consistent stream of rubbish that is expelled into cyberspace as a result of this blog.

2 comments:

Nathan & Rosanna Toews said...

Erica, you light up our life!

Trev and Rebekah said...

I was excited to hear that you are now the pastor of your church. You my dear have a gift and a passion for your town and church. I love it. I love your heart!